Russel's Guides, Inc.
Russel’s Guides, Inc.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Custom Web Application Development
Data Retrieval & Processing
Website Design and Content
Hosting andÂ Support
Russellâ€™s Guides has been in business for more than a century,Â creating and printing consolidated bus timetable books for all major bus companies in the United States and Canada. Russellâ€™s GuidesÂ needed to replace outdated DOS-based software with a modern solution for updating timetables. They also sought to expand theirÂ business by making their timetables available online for the first time.
The Infinite Solution
Infiniteâ€™s first task was to review the hard-copy timetables and design a solution that would work on the web. All the intricacies of bus timetabling such as route connections, frequent schedule changes and exceptions â€“ buses running only on certain days â€“ had to be taken into account.
With over sixty bus companies and more than one thousand schedules servicing almost ten thousand towns and cities, the data storage and retrieval processes had to be designed and built for optimal performance. The public user interface was also a major factor in the success of this project.
Bus timetables are traditionally difficult to read, so the opportunity was available for Infinite to display timetable information in a format that could be understood by both regular bus riders and first-time users of the application. Reaching out to a new group of customers that had not previously thought of traveling by bus was a major goal of the project.
Bus Timetable Application Features
- Ability to save and print schedules
- Online public search with complex logic and summary/detail views
- Links to bus terminal information, on-board amenities, and bus company websites
- Radius search that allows riders to search nearby bus services from more than 800,000 locations in the US and Canada
- Options to sort results by departure/arrival city, departure/arrival time, bus company, travel time, and number of connections
- Full back office administrative suite, offering maintenance screens for Russellâ€™s Guides and individual bus companies to maintain their schedule information
- Search results calculate up to five connections, including connections between different bus companies, allowing riders to plan trips not visible anywhere else
Site Re-design and Website CMS
Infinite provided Russellâ€™s Guides with a brand new website built on the DotNetNuke Content Management System (CMS) platform.
Infiniteâ€™s services included:
- Designed a new corporate identity for Russellâ€™s Guides to complement the launch of the bus timetable application
- CMS implementation, providing Russellâ€™s Guides complete control over website content
- Full training, documentation and hosting for DotNetNuke New home page design, featuring a clean, modern layout and immediate call to action
Project Results for Russellâ€™s Guides
- Expanded user base for bus timetables
- Freedom from outdated DOS application
- Permits bus companies to view and access their listings online for the first time
- Riders now have visibility to routes between bus companies, expanding trip options
- Future revenue expansion with ticketing